While Swedish massage is primarily focused on imrpving circulation and addressing superficial muscles, deep tissue focuses on the the deeper muscles and works into the connective tissue to help reduce tension in the muscles.
The benefits of a deep tissue massage include the following:
1. Release chronic muscle tension.
2. Release of trigger point/ muscle knots.
3. Relieves stress and benefits the mental and physical state of the client.
4. Promotes circulation to muscles.
5. Breaks down scar tissue and helps eliminate muscle adhesions.
It is a myth that deep tissue massage needs to be painful to be most effective. Some people's bodies do need the deep work to get the full effect, but others bodies respond completely different to pressure. The massage has to be at a clients comfort level.
What to expect from a deep tissue massage:
1. Because of the breakdown of the muscle fibers, you might experience next day soreness 2-3 days after a massage. This is similar to the feeling you get after working out.
2. Increased range of motion.
3. Less pain.
4. Lower blood pressure.